WHO WE ARE
Family Directed Alternative Support Services was founded by a group of 13 dedicated families in London, Ontario who wanted to improve the current and future quality of life for their adolescent/adult dependent children with disabilities.
These families share common beliefs, goals, dreams and visions. The long term plan of FDA Families is to promote fulfilling lives for their children by creating support circles, continuous avenues of access to programs and services and mutually enjoyable community experiences.
FDA is a registered charity, which has successfully convinced the provincial government to create a permanent, flexible, full day community based program for young adults with disabilities.
"Project Hope", was established for young adults with profound disabilities who are no longer eligible for educational support, live at home with their families and are totally dependent on others for their care, sustenance and well being.
We believe that all individuals have the right to a dignified
and fulfilling life that includes trust, mutually-supportive
relationships and a sense of community that honours and
respects individual choices.
Family Directed Services endeavours to:
1. Foster and encourage community participation for the individual with the assistance of family and/or friends, in all decisions affecting his/her life.
2. Engage in activities to promote the personal well being of individuals with disabilities that augment and/or improve their financial, emotional, and physical security.
3. Ensure that individuals , regardless of age, have opportunities to experience "quality" life with productive days that nourish personal growth and fulfillment.
4. Encourage community involvement that is consistent with the aspirations of the individual and his/her family.
5. Support the individual, his/her family and friends in meeting all of life's challenges and helping him/her in any way possible
WHAT DOES FDA DO?
FDA members actively engage local MPP's regarding further expansion of existing programs and community supports. FDA keeps abreast of programs, services and/or incentives that become available. FDA parents have acquired a wealth of information and experiences which are shared openly and honestly.